How do costs for timber frame compare with a brick and block house?
No intensive cost exercises have been done on a comparison between a Timber Frame structure and a traditional brick and block structure. On a material only basis timber frame does work out more expensive on paper but there are many other aspects to take into account.
- The speed of construction, whilst taking the bricklayers off the critical path and enabling trades to work both inside and outside the structure at the same time will give a speedier return on your investment.
- Less maintenance call backs than other trades as it is a dry construction.
- A timber frame project can be budgeted much more accurately without the projects costs escalating out of control.
- The timber frame company take on the engineering calculations and the working drawings for the structural shell which takes a lot of pressure off the client.
- The client gets a higher insulated, more accurately manufactured structure in comparison to a brick and block house. All of the above go towards equating the price between timber frame and traditional brick and block.